[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Wed Apr 6 16:30:59 BST 2011

Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at ...> writes:

>So maxspeed=30mph+source:maxspeed=national means: there's some street
>lights and no signs. If "there's some street lights and no signs"
>comes to mean something else, then a bot can change the
>"maxspeed=30mph" (adding a note that it's done so).

In other words, you suggest that maxspeed should hold the speed limit that
applies, rather than 'what is on the ground'.

If such an approach is followed, could I suggest tagging 'maxspeed_sign=...'
as well as or instead of a source tag?  For example

    maxspeed=30mph
    maxspeed_sign=no

    maxspeed=30mph
    maxspeed_sign=30mph

Then both the 'tag what's on the ground' and 'tag what's most useful' camps could
have a way to record the information they want.  For more complex cases, such as
the presence or absence of street lights, a source:maxspeed tag might still
be needed.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>