[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Apr 6 17:21:35 BST 2011

On 06/04/2011 15:02, Chris Hill wrote:
> On 06/04/11 14:22, Peter Miller wrote:
>>
>> Do we have a preference for tagging unrestricted limits in the UK? I
>> say that because a section of the A1 is beginning to look a bit war
>> damaged  (as in edit war).

>> Any thoughts?
>>

> I think we should tag what we see on the ground. The sign is national
> speed limit, not 60 or 70 mph. The black & white sign does not mean 60
> mph or 70 mph for every vehicle, lorries have lower limits for
> example. I currently don't tag maxspeed on national speed limits, but
> this absence encourages the nonsense that chriscf came up with, so if
> pushed I'd use maxspeed:national . All of the roads being discussed
> are in the UK, so they do not need UK: or GB: namespaces. This is a
> geo-database after all.

What we absolutely don't need is someone making assumptions about
somebody else's sources and adding random tags based on those - I don't
see that chriscf's "fixme" edits add any value.  Personnally I do tag
"maxspeed=national" on local A and B roads where there's a sign (and
I've noticed it) because locally (Derbyshire) many/most A roads are
actually maxspeed 50; adding maxspeed=national should mean "someone's
been there and confirmed that that's what the sign says" not "someone
who hasn't been there has guessed that it's probably a limit of XYZ".
Maybe I need to start using something like "source:maxspeed=sign" as well?

Cheers,
Andy