[Talk-GB] findmaps using OSM, and current situation regarding use of OS 'stuff' used in Google maps

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 19:01:25 BST 2011

On 06/04/2011 17:46, Jason Cunningham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently was made aware of Findmaps new free service that overlays a
> lot of recently released UK data over maps.
> http://free.findmaps.co.uk/
>
> The available background maps are 'google maps' 'osm mapnik' and OS.
> You then chose to see several different datasets sourced, for example,
> from Natural England and Ordnance Survey.
> You can add (draw) you own basic shapes/lines/arrows, and print out a pdf.
> Overall an excellent service
>
> But it raises three issues.
> 1. The OSM map is called the "Urban Detail". Since Google Map gets
> called Google Map it would of been nice to see OSM referred to as OSM.
> But I guess the whole point of OSM is to provide maps (data) with a
> minimum of use restrictions.
>
> 2. The use of OS data in Google Maps. I though this wasn't allowed.
> Last time I looked at this there was a problem with googles terms of
> use, which OS were not happy with. I remember thinking OS were in the
> right, and remember a response from OS which suggested that other
> mapping sites could be used. Since findmaps is clearly using OS data
> with with Google maps it suggests the situation has changed. Does
> anybody have info on the current state of play.
>
> 3. The use of Natural England data. Seems Natural England have an even
> more complex set of terms and conditions for their data sets [link
> <http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/publications/data/default.aspx>]. I
> therefore find it hard to believe this data can be used in google
> maps. Has there been any discussion about using Natural Englands data
> in OSM because it does provide some very useful info (eg national trails)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason

I think the Google/OS issue has been partially resolved. However I share
your other concerns.

OSM does not appear to properly described (or attributed). Richard
Fairhurst pointed these issues out on talk-legal some time ago, and has
subsequently alluded to many other non-attributed uses of OSM. I'm
hoping he might write something up on it.

Data from Natural England and English Heritage appear to be being used
when as far as I know they have restrictive licenses. It may be that
these licenses are old and have been replaced by the standard
opendata.gov.uk licenses, but as I have found discovering whether this
is the case can be quite long winded. I did raise the issue of the
status of Natural England data on the National Archives site a few
months ago, but have not had any email reply.

Jerry