[Talk-GB] Publishing Self-Devised Walks

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sat Apr 9 22:27:14 BST 2011

On 09/04/2011 12:00, daniel at daniel-watkins.co.uk wrote:
> At the other end of the spectrum is screenshots and using the GIMP to draw
> my route on (or using a mapping site like BikeRouteToaster to draw the
> lines on, and taking screenshots of that).  However, this seems really
> lame (as you lose all of the slippy-map goodness, and the updating of the
> surrounding area/data), so I'd prefer not to have to resort to this.
>
> Has anyone else done something like this?  Have I missed a project
> somewhere which is designed to store such things?  Any input would be much
> appreciated.

I would agree that these 'unofficial' routes don't really belong in OSM.
But depending on how your blog works, there are ways of showing the
route on a slippy map.

eg you could draw the route on Gpsies, then use the IFRAME code that it
provides to embed the map on your blog. Note by default this will show
it on a Google map, for an OSM map you have to add the "&mapType=mapnik"
parameter, see this page for details (in German):
http://www.gpsies.com/page.do?page=linkus

There are other options for track drawing websites with OSM maps listed
here, though I'm not sure which support embedding:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Track_drawing_websites
Also note some blogs don't allow iframes.

Or if you have a Wordpress.org blog (ie hosted on your own server), then
you can use the OSM plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/osm/
This lets you show an OSM map with a GPX track overlay.
See an example on my blog: http://craig.neogeo.org.uk/blog/?p=61
Though I don't think this is possible on a Wordpress.com blog.

Craig