[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK Variable speed limits

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Apr 11 08:24:02 BST 2011

On 10 April 2011 22:14, Brian Prangle <bprangle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> How do variable speed limits which are signalled via overhead gantries on
> motorways during congestion fit into your schema? I've just tagged sections
> of the M42 and M6 in the West  Mids with maxspeed=variable and wouldn't want
> to see my work obliterated by some new ( and for these sections of motorway
> - inocrrect) tagging schema. ( This variable speed limit also largely
> coincides with active traffic management where the hard shoulder becomes a
> motorway lane during congestion)

The recommended value is 'signals' rather than 'variable' and that value is
already accommodated within the ITO Map speed layers.

Personally I support this tagging although does lack any information about
typical operating speeds which would be useful to routing engines.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed

Regards,

Peter