[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Apr 12 11:49:44 BST 2011

I apologise for editing too soon and having taken silence as agreement. I
will not any more editing of maxspeed while we resolve this issue.

In my defense I would note again that a considerable percentage of
unrestricted roads in the UK had already been tagged in numeric format and
that my manual edits were about improving consistency rather than going
against the majority or even a large minority.

Personally I don't care as much about which standard we adopt as to the idea
that we have a preferred format that is documented and is compatible with
other countries schemes and which is readily available for routers to use
and is implemented! Mot people will hold off mapping speed limits until this
is resolved.

If we use the 'national' approach then in my opinion routers must have
simple unambiguous access the relevant numeric speed which can either be
included in the maxspeed field or in some suitable supporting field. If we
use a supporting field then we need some useful defaults. In either case we
need to agree which we prefer and what the text is for single carriageway,
dual carriageway and motorway.

Regards,

Peter