[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Apr 12 14:33:49 BST 2011

On 12 April 2011 12:30, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:

> On 12/04/11 09:38, Peter Miller wrote:
>

>> The general conclusion of the discussion above was that where
>> maxspeed=60mph is applied to a single carriageway road there is also a
>> default 'maxspeed:type=GB:unrestricted' (or whatever value is decided on).
>> This default (and the one for 70mph for motorways and dual-carriageways) was
>> including to avoid burdening the mapper with another tag to add in most
>> situations. The only 60 mph signs that need another tag are those rare cases
>> where a single carriageway road does have a numeric speed limit.
>>
> You must have been reading a different list to me.
>
> A couple of exchanged discussions about your proposal does *not* constitute
> agreement to me.
>
> I wonder exactly what is the motivation for your juggernaut-like progress
> to adopt your flawed proposal?

Thank you for your carefully considered response ;)

Are we anywhere nearer getting an agreed set of supporting 'metatags' for
speed limits, regardless of where they are put (either in maxspeed or in
maxspeed:sign)?

Are people happy with:

GB:motorway (which implies 70 mph at present and possibly 80 mph in the
future)
GB:dual_carriageway (which implies 70 mph at present)
GB:single_carriageway (which implies 60 mph at present)

If so then I will add these to the 'national' tags that I have touched.

If not then can someone else lead the process of bringing this to a shared
understanding? I am going to take much more of a back-seat until we get an
agreement on this matter.

Regards,

Peter