[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Apr 14 12:24:21 BST 2011

Peter Miller wrote:
> There is also the difficulty of identifying which country you are in

Nominatim seems to manage. :)

> There is current the problem that no one has actually created a look-
> up table for the values that can be used by downstream systems

Ah, now, this is where we have precedent.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions
is basically terrific. It's possibly the one useful thing on the wiki. It is
machine-parseable (and those bits that aren't, should be).

How do you get this into your app? Well, you could use it as a lookup table
in the app if you liked. But remember that the one part of the OSM toolchain
employed by 99% of end-uses is Osmosis. Osmosis understands polygons (for
country boundaries), and tag transformations (to translate the mappings into
whatever tag you want).

Speed limits are easy compared to access restrictions. So there is
absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be an equivalent table for speed
limits. It would be the matter of two minutes' work.

cheers
Richard