[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 02:36:45 BST 2011

Steve Doerr-2 wrote:

> On 09/04/2011 08:15, Peter Miller wrote:
>
>> maxspeed:type=GB:dual_carriageway (or GB:motorway, GB:rural, GB:urban)

according to taginfo.openstreetmap.de there are 72 000 source:maxspeed and
only 552 maxspeed:type. So at least according to the data source:maxspeed is
what mappers have agreed upon.

Yes, I don't really like the source:maxspeed either, as source has
traditionally been the meta information of how data has been surveyed and
not the on the ground / legal reason for a tag value.

In the name of consistency,  should one not stick to the "accepted method"
though? Otherwise we might keep on going down the same path as with the
"highway=footway" "highway=path" inconsistencies.

Or perhaps we can do a mass bot-update of source:maxspeed to maxspeed:type?

Kai