[Talk-GB] Roadside cycle-lanes vs. off-road cycle-paths

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Apr 15 19:50:24 BST 2011

there's various lane indications such as
   cycleway=lane
   cycleway=opposite_lane
   cycleway:left=lane
   cycleway:right=lane
for various configurations of lane.

For separate from road, generally this is done similar to carriageways
of dual carriageways, with a separate way, tagged highway=cycleway.

For some ways, especially well away from roads, and perhaps sometimes
for sahred-use footways, you will also find
   highway=footway with bicycle=yes
meaning it is primarily a footway which bikes are permitted to use.
Similarly highway=bridleway (with or without bicycle=yes - bridleways
are legally permitted for bikes in the UK, so that is redundant, but I
think some people do this to indicate it is more suitable for bikes than
most bridleways).

David