[Talk-GB] Roadside cycle-lanes vs. off-road cycle-paths

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 20:32:43 BST 2011

On 15/04/2011 19:21, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> Can anyone propose a test that I can use to distinguish between
> roadside cycle-lanes and off-road cycle paths?
>
> This is part of my effort to superimpose OSM path info onto OS
> District Map.  I would like to show off-road cycle paths that would
> typically be shown on a paper OS map, perhaps as a bridleway, and not
> roadside paths that would not be shown separately from the road itself.
>
> One option is to look only for the footpath/bridleway tags, but that
> does seem to miss some things.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks,  Phil.

I presume you mean examples like this http://osm.org/go/eu8YB5rsb--
(NCN-6 runs on a cycleway parallel to A6005) and
http://osm.org/go/eu8YfjTe6-- (parallel cycleways alongside dual
carriageway separated by a broad verge).

In these cases I suspect the only way to find them will be by adding a
buffer to the cycleway way and determining if it intersects a road.
Building an index on the st_buffer(way,###) value and comparing to
planet_osm_roads might get most such cases & not hit huge performance
problems. This may be a hint that in some cases we might want to provide
additional information. I think there are various schemes for
associating objects with a road. Maybe a simpler way would be to assign
a landuse=highway to major road corridors.

Jerry