[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Apr 18 01:26:52 BST 2011

Kai Krueger wrote:
> If I am not mistaken, you your self have said that you would rather
> use Ordinance Survey data then OpenStreetMap data, despite being
> an absolute OSM enthusiast. And if I remember correctly, this was
> not only due to licensing, but also because of ease of use?

Indeed, but the tagging isn't the problem with OSM. The tags are generally
trivial to parse. (In fact, OSM's finer-grained highway tagging is more
helpful than the rudimentary categories offered in Meridian2 and VectorMap
District.)

It's the geometry that makes OSM such a pain to deal with. The OS OpenData
datasets are nicely generalised at two scales (i.e. Meridian2 and VMD) which
correspond to a lot of the maps I produce. OSM isn't, and the accuracy
varies wildly from one-point-per-500m to incredibly precise curves. I've not
found an easy way to downsample it to a consistent level, and now OS
OpenData is available, I've given up looking.

cheers
Richard