[Talk-GB] OSM Contributor Terms vs OS OpenData Licence

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:59:13 BST 2011

Robert Whittaker (OSM) [mailto:robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com]wrote
>Sent: 18 April 2011 2:13 PM
>To: Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [Talk-GB] OSM Contributor Terms vs OS OpenData Licence
>
>I've just declined the new OSM Contributor Terms (CTs), because I've
>previously made edits based on OS OpenData, and my understanding is that
>the Ordnance Survey (OS) OpenData Licence is incompatible with the current
>version of the OSM Contributor Terms (1.2.4).
>
>I appreciate that licence discussion really belongs on legal-talk, but I
thought I
>should post this here about this UK-specific issue -- in order to prevent
people
>signing up to the new CTs without realizing the potential incompatibility
with
>OS OpenData-derived content. My reasoning for the incompatibility is as
>follows:
>
>The OS OpenData License [1] clearly states that any sub-licences must
include
>a specific attribution requirement, and must also enforce a similar
attribution
>requirement on any further downstream usage.

If you make sure your OS derived contributions carry the source information
then that attribution will be in the OSM db for all to see for ever and a
day, regardless of what OSMF does with it in the future under some other
free and open format.

And yes, I have signed up for the CT's and ODbL. I have no qualms at all
about that.

Cheers
Andy