[Talk-GB] Things that aren't stations tagged railway=station

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Apr 19 11:20:03 BST 2011

On 19 April 2011 10:30, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> Lennard wrote:
>
>> >  Any unambiguous tagging scheme you can think of would be fine.
>>>
>> This variant has the added benefit that it would make it into most current
>> rendering databases for free. Data users that do want to show this, don't
>> have to do anything special to their import stages.
>>
>> Using a key suffix (railway:disused=*) would mean extra work.
>>

> Additionally it does allow for the growing number of lines and stations
> that are being re-opened ;) Broadway near me is currently abandoned but IS
> being restored as part of the Gloucestershire railway and the track is
> slowly working it's way up the old abandoned line ... But a part that may be
> useful in the UK is cleaner identification of preserved over main line
> railway stations?

I have been using the prefix 'construction:' and 'proposed:' on tags to
indicate that something is in the process of changing and there may also be
a role for 'former:'.

For example tags on part of the M25 which is being widened:
lanes=3
construction:lanes=4

And on the A11 where one carriageway is being demoted to a minor two-way
road:
highway=trunk;
oneway=yes;
proposed:highway=unclassified
proposed:oneway=no

It would seem logical to include the status of 'former' elements in the same
way. So a former station would be tagged using as follows:

former:railway=station

The lifecycle of a feature would then be.

proposed:railway=station
construction:railway=station
railway=station
former:railway=station