[Talk-GB] OSM Contributor Terms vs OS OpenData Licence

TimSC mapping at sheerman-chase.org.uk
Tue Apr 19 11:32:05 BST 2011

I have been wondering how much data has been imported into OSM from OS
Opendata and who has accepted the CTs. I still think that the CTs ask
for rights to be granted that are broader than are granted by the
Opendata license. This point is disputed by Richard and others. Here are
the most prolific Opendata users (in terms of version 1 objects) that
have accepted the CTs, along with their user IDs:

9065    brianboru
41362    Eriks Zelenka
69853    Central America
51722    Chris Parker
57884    EdLoach
26825    Warofdreams
91225    tms13
592    JonS
229419    piedwagtail91
82783    Paul The Archivist

The top contributor, brianboru, has 29020 objects that use opendata
source tags (and are version 1 objects). We should not focus too much on
these specific individuals, as there are probably hundreds of users that
have done the same thing. Now, if we were to accept my concern that
Opendata and the CTs are incompatible, these users, along with users not
listed above, are bringing OSM into disrepute, because they are not
respecting other's license terms. The fact that they might plan to
remove the data is in a way irrelevant, they should only agree to the
CTs after they are in compliance.

Here is a link to a random example, from each of the above contributors:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/693084884
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/737268177
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/856782137
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/753395732
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/771249204
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/699639016
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/719665162
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/697029337
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/688497237

The list of people accepting the CTs is here:

http://planet.openstreetmap.org/users_agreed/users_agreed.txt

The only solution is to reject their CTs response until their edits are
no longer in violation of the Opendata license. Unless I am mistaken in
my interpretation of the CTs, in which case this might be a non-issue!

Regards,

TimSC