[Talk-GB] Sorting out layering in East Anglia, Essex, London and Kent

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Apr 19 15:07:41 BST 2011

On 19 April 2011 14:49, SomeoneElse <lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk> wrote:

> On 19/04/2011 14:31, Peter Miller wrote:
>

>> ...  railways at layer=1 or -1
>>

> Well, that might be correct if they're at layer -1 or +1 relative to a
> feature that hasn't been mapped yet.  A conversation with the original
> mappers (or a visit) should be able to resolve that easily.

There number of errors in a key that no one really understood two years back
and which only has subtle effects on rendering means that it is not really
practical to find the original mapper. Particularly if the tagging is
clearly wrong.

 In the process I have added probably 100 bridges in order to gets rivers
> and railways to work properly.

Please tell me that you've actually visited these places to check that there
> is actually a bridge there (and not something best described as a tunnel),
> and note where the start and end of bridge actually are.  If I railway
> crosses a river and there's nothing indicating how it's a very useful
> indication that something's mapped incorrectly and needs checking.  Faking
> the data so that it doesn't look wrong actually removes very useful
> information from the map.

Bing aerial is a very useful resource and allows many issues to be resolved
very fast. Bridges and tunnels can be clearly seen in most situations. The
random streets at level=1 for miles after they have crossed a bridge
connecting to side streets without layer tags is also very clearly a
mistake. Rivers at layer=-1 for miles so as to avoid needing to add bridges.

Regards,

Peter