[Talk-GB] National Byway rendering on OpenCycleMap

martyn info at dynoyo.plus.com
Tue Apr 19 16:14:09 BST 2011

I recently cycled following Byway signs to the Cambridgeshire border
near Gamlingay (where the signs disappeared ..)  I later extended the
relation for that part of the Byway which I found by searching the Wiki.

The Sustrans network is often better mapped in OSM than on the Sustrans
website.  I recently rode some local signed roads that are not on the
Sustrans website.

The National Byway website, in contrast, has no serious online mapping.
  There is a low resolution representation that is useless for planning
an actual cycle trip. They sell maps, but some are out of stock, and the
whole Byway (and local Loops) is not covered.

The Byway needs a good map, and OSM/OpenCycleMap is ideally equipped to
provide it.

to quote Andy Allan in another context:

One of the phrases I started using a few years ago is “render and they
will map” – or, in other words, if you are interested in a particular
aspect of mapping data being improved then the best way to encourage
mappers to improve that is to make it visible and useful.