[Talk-GB] OSM Contributor Terms vs OS OpenData Licence

Robert Whittaker (OSM) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 23:12:24 BST 2011

On 19 April 2011 20:06, Graham Jones <grahamjones139 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Declining the new terms would have been silly because it would have meant my
> non-OS based contributions being removed,

That would only be the case if/when we proceed to the next stage in
the licence change process and you still hadn't accepted the (possibly
amended) terms by then. A "decline" choice at the moment can be
reversed at any time, and in the mean time you can continue to edit
and your previous edits remain in the database.

(But I'm not sure if this has now been made clear anywhere on the CTs
form -- I only found out when I asked the LWG what would happen if I
declined when forced to make a choice.)

If you're not certain that you're previous contributions satisfy the
CTs, then surely the best course of action is not to sign until such
time as you are. If people are signing up with potentially
incompatible data just to ensure that their other contributions
doesn't get deleted, then that rather defeats the whole point of the
strict CTs. The more people that don't sign up yet because of the
uncertainties, the more pressure there will be for OSMF to find a
solution that allows OS OpenData to be used.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker