[Talk-GB] National Byway rendering on OpenCycleMap

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Apr 20 10:16:38 BST 2011

Andy Allan wrote:
> If we keep the route=bicycle I would suggest network=ncn,
> name = National Byway and therefore bring it into line with
> all the other national cycling routes in every other country
> in OSM.

Strongly disagree. But then you know that. :)

I think the root (route?) problem is that we're tagging everything as
"networks" even if they're not. I've been as guilty as anyone of this: when
I mapped the Four Castles Cycle Route around Abergavenny, I tagged it as
lcn, "just to get it to render".

But it isn't a network, really. It's just a route. Lots of other people have
done this, to the extent that I wince whenever I look at OCM at z<13 - all
that obtrusive dark blue in places which really don't have local cycle
networks at all.

>From OSM's point of view, there's no reason at all why a route=bicycle
relation needs a network= tag. If it's a bicycle route, tagging it as
route=bicycle should be sufficient. If it's a bicycle route, it would also
be great to see it on the Cycle Map. But since the Cycle Map requires a
network= tag, so we all add one.

So what would be most awesome of all would be if OCM rendered route=bicycle
without a network tag - whether this be the Four Castles, the National
Byway, the Wiltshire Cycleway, or whatever.

<flutters eyelashes>

cheers
Richard