[Talk-GB] National Byway rendering on OpenCycleMap

Wed Apr 20 12:11:50 BST 2011

Peter Miller wrote:
> What tagging would you expect us to use within OSM to identify
> something as being part of this network?

Just route=bicycle, name=National Byway should be enough IMO. I wouldn't
really call the National Byway a network - it's a circular route with the
odd spur - but I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

(Bear in mind that, though I wouldn't go so far as to call the NB
"vapourware", its ambition has thus far exceeded its reach. It's a lovely
project but I think the completion date has slipped by about 10 years so
far. It's a bit like standing at a station when the departure board always
says it'll be here 3 minutes from now... and does so for an hour. We
should be fairly careful to tag what the NB is, not what it wants to be.
Even the 'National Map' on the NB website overstates its existence: there
is no signage in Gloucestershire, and only intermittent signage in
Oxfordshire where it coincides with the NCN, even though it claims both
were completed in 2009.)

> Fyi, I notice that highway=byway is depreciated by the wiki and that
> designation=restricted_byway is proposed in its place. There is a
> scattering of both tags in the current OSM DB, but nothing that creates
> a coherent network. I am also not convinced that either of these are
> the right tag for this purpose.

Oh, absolutely. The National Byway is not made up of byways - in fact,
it's expressly meant to be more an "on-road" network than (say) the NCN,
which is why touring cyclists like it.

cheers
Richard