[Talk-GB] National Byway rendering on OpenCycleMap

monxton gmane at jordan-maynard.org
Wed Apr 20 12:24:31 BST 2011

On 20/04/2011 11:24, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:

> This raises an important point that cropped up last week in Brum where Brian
> had tagged a serious of routes that the local campaign group, Pushbikes, are
> promoting. The issue was that these routes don't exist on the ground. Like a
> bus route there is nothing really to tell you a route exists though there is
> clearly information around (paper map etc) that confirms they do and shows
> you where they go, a bus route map would be similar. So for me whether it is
> part of a network or not is immaterial. As far as I'm concerned using
> ncn/lcn/lcn is the best way of tagging a signed logical route whether its
> part of a bigger network or not. For routes that are not signed perhaps
> another layer is needed so that you can print the route and follow it but it
> doesn't clutter the signed physical network version of the cycle map.

Bus routes do have a physical manifestation inasmuch as they usually
have physical stops which usually list the routes which stop there.

This is pretty much like a bicycle route which has signs only at the
junctions.

But yes, I would only tag a bicycle route which is signed on the ground.
Though the OCM does support "proposed" routes, using dashed lines.