[Talk-GB] Definitive Public Right Of Way map for Northumberland

Robert Whittaker (OSM) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 13:40:01 BST 2011

On 21 April 2011 12:14, Graham Stewart <graham at dalmuti.net> wrote:
> Where do we stand if I manually create a way (i.e. by tracing from Bing
> imagery or by surveying it) and then refer to this published definitive
> map to determine if it is a designated footpath/bridleway/BOAT? (And
> possibly get other details that could be used in tags/notes like an
> identifier).
>
> Presumably this would be using the council's data and we would need some
> form of agreement with them?

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines#Copyright_issues_.28VERY_IMPORTANT.21.29

In short, you can't copy from the maps because they are a derived work
from a copyrighted Ordnance Survey base map. If you get permission
from the appropriate council, you can, however, make use of the
written document known as the "Definitive Statement" as OS have agreed
not to claim an IP rights in it.

Depending on the council, you may be able to get hold of a copy of the
Definitive Statement and get permission to use it. (The documents have
to be available for inspection by the public, but how easy it is to
then make a copy is not clear. Some councils have electronic versions
that they may be happy to send you, or you could try a formal request
under FOI or EIR legislation. However if you go down they route, they
might be less keen to grant you the necessary permissions to re-use
the data in OSM.) The quality of the route descriptions in the
definitive statements is quite variable. For some it is very easy to
match them to a location / path in OSM, for others it is pretty
difficult.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker