[Talk-GB] Definitive Public Right Of Way map for Northumberland

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 14:42:51 BST 2011

On 21/04/2011 13:50, TimSC wrote:

> If you have patience, the OS 7th series sheets that are coming out of
> copyright and have rights of way on them. Of course they are 50 years
> out of date... (but it's mostly accurate in my experience).

> Regards,
>
> TimSC

I distinctly remember seeing the first 7th series maps with the rights
of way on them, probably in 1967 : we initially thought my uncle had
annotated his local sheet.

Looking at one close to hand which has rights of way marked (Sheet 120,
Burton) it is marked copyright 1962, with major roads revised 1968. In
the top right hand corner of the key is "Reprinted with the addition of
public rights of way, new major roads and Staunton Harold Reservoir
1969). This is B/* for those with the relevant Charles Close volume.

Although our understanding is that the printed copyright date is the one
to work from, I wonder if it is wise to treat the rights of way
information as out-of-coyright.

I suspect councils will be more than happy to share this data once OSM
data becomes useful to them: in the same way that it is becoming easier
to use OSM Cycle data than many other sources. One aspect which may
appeal as they thin out rights-of-way officers, is the report a problem
type issue: often locked gates, dangerous stiles. We mark this information.

The other group which we dont seem to have much contact with are local
Footpath Preservation societies and Ramblers Association local groups.
Some of these have been going forever (The Manchester Association for
the Preservation of Ancient Public Footpaths was formed in 1826 and The
Hayfield and Kinderscout Ancient Footpaths Association in 1876) and must
have a huge bank of  information not impaired by OS derivation issues
about the local footpath network.

Jerry