[Talk-GB] railway stations (again)

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Apr 26 14:55:43 BST 2011

On 26 April 2011 14:37, Jerry Clough : SK53 on OSM <SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> On 26/04/2011 12:38, Thomas Wood wrote:
>
>> On 04/26/11 12:04, Peter Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Baker Street. There are three separate nodes tagged
>>> 'railway=station,name=Baker Street' (one for each line served). In
>>> reality there five separate lines each of which may have 2 platforms
>>> (unless any of them share platforms) together with 4 entrances but only
>>> one 'station'.
>>>
>>> Embankment. There is a single 'railway-station' node on one of the lines
>>> that stop at Embankment. In reality there are four lines each of which
>>> may have 2 platforms (except for those that share lines) and two
>>> entrances.
>>>
>>> Westminster. There is a single 'railway=station' node at a crossing of
>>> the two lines. In reality the lines probably cross each other on
>>> different layers and each probably have two platforms. There are a total
>>> of 5 entrances according the NaPTAN.
>>>

>> etc...
>>
>> These issues have been bugging me for a while - for instance, on the
>> sections of District/Picc through Hammersmith, you get the rediculous
>> situation of the lines forming something similar to =X= such that each is
>> connected to the single station node.
>>
>> Unfortunately, as is always the case, time is my limiting factor
>> (hopefully some will appear freed over my summer!)
>>
>> Thomas

> Well spotted, we definitely ought to work for something more coherent.
>
> As for Paddington I would keep the two tube stations separate from the
> mainline station. The fact that there are two stations called Paddington is
> invariably confuses people who might expect that this is a practical
> exchange point. In fact the old Metropolitan Hammersmith Line station is not
> really a decent exchange point except for some local mainline services: it's
> also a nightmare with a decent sized bag.
>
> St Pancras is effectively several stations under one roof: the Eurostar,
> Midland Mainline and the Thameslink services are pretty much independent.
>
> Working out a way to represent these individual components, the
> relationship with the underground, location of services (ticket offices etc)
> and suitable pedestrian routing through these stations would not only help
> for other complex transport exchanges, but offer real value for users of
> OSM. The walk to/from platforms 12/13/14 of Paddington to the Bakerloo &
> District/Circle line platforms is a not inconsiderable part of a
> cross-London transfer.
>
> On the other hand, something like the tagging of Zurich Hbf is probably too
> complicated for an average contributor to want to contemplate:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1532513.

Thanks for the feedback and reassurance that this is worth attempting. I
agree with all of the above, indeed the ability to do better routing through
complex interchanges is one of my motivations for doing this work. Another
is just that it is the next level of detail we need to burrow into now that
we have most of the streets mapped!

The discussions about when a station is one station and when it is two
stations will certainly be worth teasing out on a case by case basis. At
some distant zoom level (14?) Paddington should probably be one node (it is
current 3). By zoom level 17 it should probably be three as you say (it is
currently 4). Similarly with KingsCross/St Pancras and Heathrow Airport. My
plan of attack will be to do some simpler tube stations and railway
stations, then Liverpool St Station and then Kings Cross/St Pancras.

I do agree that the proposed public transport schema is pretty complex and I
am still trying to get my head around it. I will try it out on my 'home'
stations of Ipswich and Liverpool St and see how it works whilst also using
the current tagging system. It may be that we can shake something simpler
out of it or possibly the we will need tools with more support in due
course.

Regards,

Peter