[Talk-GB] Routing and other problems west of Uttoxeter

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 10:09:26 BST 2011

Steve Dobson wrote:
>> It is interesting looking at the history for some changes and seeing
>> >  what 'collateral damage' is being done to additional information by
>> >  people who have yet to fully get up to speed with all the finer points
>> >  of editing.
> Playing devils advocate here - one man's 'collateral damage' is another
> man's improvements.  As a newbie how do I know that my edits are `good'?
>   One joins OSM and gets full edit rights to the database.  I didn't have
> to pass any tests to show that I know what I'm doing.  I've just looked
> at what has been none in other areas of the map and aped it.

In reality these 'improvements' ARE at the expense of more important information
as has been shown here :(

In order to retain the 'open access' policy we DO need a little more security
such as the ability to selectively roll back changes or merge back in the
background material. Some people have put a lot of effort into the finer
details, so 'delete' SHOULD be a little more difficult to action, and perhaps
REQUIRE an added comment as to why something was deleted?

The new_id tag would need to be integrated into an API process related to delete
and other actions that can result in missing information.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL