[Talk-GB] OS VectorMap water feature import

Craig Loftus craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 11 18:28:52 GMT 2011

> Have any large scale imports from this dataset already been done?

Unfortunately some have. Orkney is particularly bad.

> Do people think this is a good idea?  Any suggestions regarding the process?

I don't think area based importing is useful. Too many fragmented
waterways, and non-existent drains get pulled in. The few imports I've
done have focused on specific features, e.g., the banks and
tributaries of a river in an area I was mapping. It takes a long time
to get the sections connected together, the islands added, and all the
waterways connected; without focusing on a specific feature it would
be far too easy to overlook bits that needed tidying up.

In terms of the process, I found it useful to select and export just
the features I wanted in QGIS before extracting to OSM. And then to
use the JOSM validator to quickly eliminate the hundreds of duplicate
and unconnected nodes that seem to be created. Using exallpoly.py with
riverbanks tends to result in problems and I ended up modifying it to
not close the areas.

Craig