[Talk-GB] OS VectorMap water feature import

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Dec 13 11:34:16 GMT 2011

Ed Avis wrote:
> In some parts of the country there are waterways traced from out-of-
> copyright OS maps or from Street View tiles.  Getting the shapes from
> OS VectorMap will certainly be an improvement on that.

Absolutely. Some of the tracing from NPE appears to have been done either
from the really old roughly-rectified imagery (which was never meant for
tracing, only for postcode placement at npemap.org.uk), and most of it was
done without aligning the imagery to ground-truthed features... both of
which are pretty big no-nos for accurate tracing from historic sources. It's
good to have the data in there, but if we can improve on it, we should, and
VMD offers a chance to do that.

cheers
Richard