[Talk-GB] Boundaries for Forestry Commission land

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Feb 1 15:37:53 GMT 2011

On 31 January 2011 14:09, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Andrew Black
> <andrewdblack at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 29 January 2011 17:40, Steve Chilton <s.l.chilton at mdx.ac.uk> wrote:
> >> Not open, but available at magic.defra.co.uk:
> >> http://magic.defra.gov.uk/datadoc/metadata.asp?dataset=24
> >> http://magic.defra.gov.uk/datadoc/metadata.asp?dataset=25
> >
> > Excuse my ignorance - if the data is not open, how can it be used for
> > OSM (or have I missed the point of the question)
>
> I suspect Peter wanted it for a different purpose than adding it to
> OSM - his original request was for it as either open or closed data
> after all.

Correct, although anyone would be allowed to overlay the Forestry Commission
boundaries onto OSM mapping to create an 'collective work' or a
'collection'. The OSM mapping element would available as ccbysa the boundary
data would be (c) crown copyright. He resulting work would be (c) to whoever
produced it. Not sure yet what the terms of use of the boundary data is. It
would indeed be illegal to build the boundaries into OSM itself.

On a separate note, an OSM map with overlaid crime data produced by us is
included in the Daily Mail top story today.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352354/Police-crime-map-website-crashes-75-000-people-MINUTE-log-on.html

I will be doing a blog post on the ITO blog soon with some more details maps
if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Peter Miller
ITO World Ltd