[Talk-GB] Boundaries for Forestry Commission land

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Feb 1 16:22:30 GMT 2011

On 1 February 2011 15:48, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 02/01/2011 04:37 PM, Peter Miller wrote:
>
>> Correct, although anyone would be allowed to overlay the Forestry
>> Commission boundaries onto OSM mapping to create an 'collective work' or
>> a 'collection'. The OSM mapping element would available as ccbysa the
>> boundary data would be (c) crown copyright.
>>

> Unless of course they printed it on paper, in which case the whole thing
> would amalgamate into one complete work that could be published under
> neither license, and would have to be destroyed ;)

See you in court then ;)

To clarify, the 3.0 license allows ' by reason of the selection and
arrangement of their contents, constitute intellectual creations, in which
the Work is included in its entirety in unmodified form along with one or
more other contributions, each constituting separate and independent works
in themselves, which together are assembled into a collective whole'

I would consider the proposed resulting work to be 'two or more distinct,
separate and independent works selected and arranged into a collective whole
with the ccbysa content being used in an entirely unmodified form'. This
collection does indeed obscure part of the ccbysa image but I see that as
being covered by the term 'assembled '? I also believe it is entirely within
the spirit of the license. If you do insist of responding to this post then
please copy the response to legal-talk and we will carry on there!

Regards,

Peter