[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Feb 3 10:15:24 GMT 2011

Peter Miller wrote:
> Any thoughts?

Very, very sceptical.

We are slowly coming out of a dismal winter and getting back into the season
when we can do real surveying. That is, and always will be, OSM's strength.

If a bot can "fix" OSM by mashing it up with OS data, it can just as easily
post the result to a third-party server without interfering with OSM. There
is ample evidence that imports delay, or stop, the development of a mapping
community. It is not enough to say "a local mapper approved it" -
well-intentioned but rogue local mappers can seriously foul up an area, as
plenty of people here can testify.

If you merely want complete, (largely) accurate OS data but with the
advantages of the OSM toolset, it is trivial to process VectorMap or
Meridian2 into .osm files and run your favourite OSM utilities over them.

Speaking locally: If anyone were to propose running this on the West
Oxfordshire/Cotswolds area I would revert it as a matter of course, _unless_
very good reasons had been agreed in advance on the oxon-cotswolds@ mailing
list.

cheers
Richard