[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 11:29:54 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:

> This started over Xmas I decided to experimented using Potlatch 2, OS Open
> Data and Bing aerial to map a completely unmapped town (Lakenheath) to OSM
> as far as I could without visting the place. It worked very well and I then
> added Brandon and finished off Mildenhall. Did I remove anyone's work? No.
> Did I overwrite anyone's street names? certainly not.

Did you check that OS OpenData was correct? "Certainly not".

I've just checked a few well-mapped areas - Tendring, Hull and
Edinburgh - and the not:name is running at 2%, 3.1% and 1.9% of all
the roads. So for every 100 roads you've added, you could be adding 1
to 3 bogus names - and since we've only got the OS Locator to help
spot mistakes, you're making them very hard to find.

> I would prefer to run a bot of the town, add all the geometry from
> os vector district, add new names from OS Locator and then do a clean-up
> pass on discrepencies which would take half the time.

Again - missing the point. You're trying to speed up blindly copying
OS data into OSM, when you shouldn't be blindly copying it in the
first place. Come back when the problem is "I've spent a day out
mapping and X could make me work faster".

Cheers,
Andy