[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Feb 3 11:38:11 GMT 2011

Peter Miller <peter.miller at ...> writes:

>If the OS name is different from the streetsign and general usage I put it in
>not:name
>
>If it is apparently a valid alternative I put it on alt_name

I hadn't realized that your OS Locator data check looks at alt_name too, thanks.

Sometimes it is necessary to add both alt_name and not_name.  For example
OS Locator contains the name 'Edgware Road The Hyde'.  In OSM we don't tag with
both names concatenated like that, so I added name=The Hyde,
alt_name=Edgware Road (chosen since 'The Hyde' is more common in addressing),
and then not:name to quieten the check.

>It isn't appropriate these days to have the A14 labeled as 'Huntingdon Road'
>however.... Huntingdon Road is not 'wrong' either. In these cases I put the name
>Hungingdon Road into alt_name and leave name empty. In this way it is cleared
>from the OS Locator comparison test but isn't rendered on the main map.

That's one way to do it.  I think I would prefer to put the name in the name tag
but then perhaps have some kind of hint to say that it should not be rendered.
(Or a general rule that 'A' roads be shown with their number not a name.)

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>