[Talk-GB] Fwd: Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Feb 3 11:39:52 GMT 2011

On 3 February 2011 11:15, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:

> On 03/02/11 11:04, Peter Miller wrote:
>

>> Fyi, ITO will soon have to give the OS £13,500 for another's years use of
>> their ITN dataset and then additional usage and printing fees during the
>> year. As such I really want to get to the point where we can say 'no
>> thanks'!
>>
> As I suspected, the real motivation has now emerged. Let's not compromise
> our integrity to save ITO some money.

I don't think that is called for. Our motive is to move from mapping
datasets that are closed, proprietary, expensive, controlled by 'experts'
and don't have pedestrian routes to ones that are open, free and do. The
money concern is a minor one and we have spent a lot more money supporting
OSM in the past two years than we spend buying commercial mapping. As a
company we are budgeting for continuing to purchase ITN into the future.

Is the view of people on this thread that Leeds and Bradford should not be
filled out until a local mapper decides to cycle every street? I am
proposing flooding the blank parts of the city with OS data which can then
be used and enhanced and corrected by local mappers as they apprear. Seems
like a totally valid approach to me but not to everyone;)

I am thinking back to Ed Parsons talk at the first State of the Map
conference in Manchester where he said the challenge for OSM  would be the
license and completeness. He was right and it dramatically limits who can
use the data.
http://vimeo.com/7347767

Peter