[Talk-GB] Preparation before going mapping (was: ...using a Bot?)

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Feb 3 14:05:23 GMT 2011

Ed,

On 3 February 2011 13:27, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> So I'd be interested to hear what strategies others use and whether we
> can learn some hints from each other.  Once you understand how someone
> maps you may also understand better their position on data imports and
> robot assistance.

I think that's a very good point.

I most enjoyed my time five years ago mapping Reading when it was a motorway
and a few trunk roads, no more. GPS, paper, pencil and ropey JOSM. I like to
do small areas to a very high level of detail and quality, and gradually
expand them. So in terms of mapping preference I sit with Andy and others
who dislike armchair tracing, bots, and large swathes of patchy coverage
that's difficult to check.

However I'm also a data user, and someone working to persuade charities,
community groups and councils to use OSM. Like Peter Miller, I think it's
perfectly legitimate to talk about this motivation.

Regards,
Tom