[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Feb 4 13:20:56 GMT 2011

Brief expansion of previous point:

Ed Avis wrote:
> So I did hesitate about adding name=Newton Road to a street which I had
> not visited.  But then I considered the folk living on that street typing
> its
> name into Nominatim and getting no results.

Let's see what Wikipedia does (and when you have to take usability lessons
from the bracket-infested rulefest that is Wikipedia, you _know_ you've got
problems):

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog_Pellets

      Frog Pellets
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name.

      [Start the Frog Pellets article], using the [Article Wizard] if you
      wish, or [add a request for it].

Brilliant. Why aren't we doing that?

"OpenStreetMap hasn't mapped Newton Road, Chigwell yet. Why not add it?"

We can know where Newton Road is by keeping OS Locator in a separate table.
We can use this to take the user directly to the right place in Potlatch,
with Bing imagery automatically selected, nice tutorial video showing them
how to do it. (I've asked MapQuest to work on tutorial videos because, guess
what, none of you lot have had the imagination to think "if I were a new
user, what would help me most?".)

We get a new OSM user and _real_, unique local data with the footpaths, the
pubs, the postboxes, all of that.

Or we could just write a bot.

cheers
Richard