[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Fri Feb 4 13:25:31 GMT 2011

Peter Miller <peter.miller at ...> writes:

>What do you do when a road has completely gone?  Mascall Avenue in Oxford
>has completely gone. There's a new housing estate, with a road network that
>doesn't match what was there before, so there's no way to mark with old_name
>or not:name or anything.
>
>I suggest that the main upload process should spot an attempt to add back a
>feature which has been removed with the message ' Mascall Avenue was removed by
>-this- edit on xx-xx-xxxx with the comment 'blar blar' Are you sure you want to
>add it back'. A bot would also ideally do this prior to it getting to the upload
>stage. Wikipedia has a similar warning for people attempting to re-create a
>previously deleted article.

Hmm, just possibly, but I think relying on user intelligence and good judgement
is better.  (The mapper needs to have those anyway.)  Nobody would blindly trace
a street from OS through the middle of some existing features - at least I hope
not!  And any putative bot should definitely behave better than that too.

I would suggest that whoever removed Mascall Avenue from the map should have
mapped what replaced it - a brownfield site or whatever - to avoid future
confusion.  It's most unlikely for features to be removed from OSM and replaced
with an entirely blank canvas.

The Wikipedia parallel is not exact: an article is deleted from Wikipedia usually
not because the thing it refers to doesn't exist in the real world, but because
it is not 'notable' or 'verifiable' or has been merged into another article.
OSM has a much simpler criterion of whether the thing exists.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>