[Talk-GB] Update to OSM Analysis

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Feb 7 14:53:48 GMT 2011

On 7 February 2011 13:36, Craig Loftus <craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:
> > What I don't see is any way to indicate that the information added could
> benefit from a ground-survey. NaPTAN imports include the tag
> NaPTAN:verified=no. Should we not have something similar for data
> > taken straight from OS Open data, regardless of whether it is traced or
> imported by code? Should we used verified=no, surveyed=no, ground_survey=no
> or what. Without any such tag then people wishing
> > to check everything on the ground are really stuck when people helpfully
> (or unhelpfully depending on your viewpoint) add details from OS Opendata.
>
> Isn't the source tag enough? Once I've surveyed things I change the
> source to survey. People looking for survey targets can just look for
> source*=OS* ?
>
> Perhaps though, the black cross of verified=no would make people some
> people happier. Out of the options you suggest I think verified=no is
> preferable as it has some established use with NaPTAN; but I'm not
> sure whether we should also prefix it with an import specific
> namespace (OSLocator:verified=no)?

I think the whole issue of verification and sources will need more attention
over time. We don't want to loose the verification back to OS Locator just
because there is a street sign, and what if the are two names with different
sources. source:alt_name?  What about the situation where one name is
verified by the streetsign but another by the Street Gazetteer? Being
pedantic one could allow one to code a source as:
'source:name=survey,OS_Opendata_Locator,Ipswich_Borough_Council_Street_Gazetteer'
'source:alt_name=street_sign'

The ultimate delinquent case to me is the 1.2 mile section of the A14
running north to join the A1 to the west of Huntingdon. It is know and
referred to for different purposes as A14(M) and the A604(M). Online mapping
shows it as the A14 and the A1(M). Details in the Wikipedia article here in
the designation section.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A14_road_%28England%29

Use of verified=no as a short-hand for 'I got this from an information
source but haven't yet checked it' allows one to then just click 'delete' on
the tag when it is verified.

Regards,

Peter