[Talk-GB] Incorrect use of OS VectorMap District when mapping?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Feb 10 10:30:24 GMT 2011

On 9 February 2011 18:42, Jason Cunningham <jamicuosm at googlemail.com> wrote:

> OS VectorMap District is an excellent source of data for features like
> streams and woodland, but these layers of data tend to be a bit of a mess
> and need to be stitched together as part of a method in importing into OSM.
> eg Streams will end when they meet a bridge, then reappear the other side
> of the bridge, so for OSM you need to link all the separate sections of the
> streams into one long stream
>
> Started to notice that the VectroMap District data in its "raw" state has
> started to appear in the map, from more than one mapper
> http://osm.org/go/erduA_U9K--
> http://osm.org/go/eugeBnUca-
> You can see stream are broken presumably at locations of bridges, and
> woodland has strips missing presumably along paths (and is also made up of
> several sections if you look at it in an editor)
>
> Doesn't appear to be guidance in the wiki about how to deal with VectorMap
> District. I just want to check I'm right in thinking this is the wrong way
> to go about it? If so I'll try and write up some guidance in the wiki.

I do agree that raw water features from OS Vector District are pretty
unsatisfactory and should be cleaned up. Personally I would prefer a single
linear way for streams rather than the area 'river-bank' approach which the
OS use, however the most important thing is for water features to be
continuous under bridges. I support people putting guidance together but
won't contribute myself to a great extent. On reflection possibly we should
use river-bank as that has more information in it, but recommend that anyone
importing does a 'bridge cleanup' at the same time.

Regards,

Peter