[Talk-GB] Incorrect use of OS VectorMap District when mapping?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Feb 10 10:48:03 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 02/10/11 11:35, Henry Gomersall wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 10:30 +0000, Peter Miller wrote:
>> Personally I would prefer a single linear way for streams rather than
>> the area 'river-bank' approach which the OS use
>
> The 'river-bank' approach has been exceptionally useful to me at times
> when trying to micro-navigate. Why would it ever be better to have less
> information?

This is not an either-or decision; many people map riverbanks for
appearance plus a waterway=river way through the centre. Among other
things, this gives one the chance to map the direction of water flow.

(In theory, such a line could be computed but that's something of a
black art; http://ageoguy.blogspot.com/2010/12/squelettisation.html for
interesting details - and I sure as hell don't want to have to set up a
machine to do that for the whole planet on a daily basis...)

Bye
Frederik