[Talk-GB] LandForm Panorama height data (OS) now available in .hgt like format

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 21:59:48 GMT 2011

Hello everyone,

I have now made available Phil Endecott's tiles of Ordnance Survey LandForm Panorama height data to download.

It can be found on the dev server at

http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/downloads/lfp/

(dev admins - please let me know if this is not an acceptable use of dev)

and on the Freemap server at

http://www.free-map.org.uk/downloads/lfp

(I think my bandwidth allowance can cope with about 100 downloads of the entire dataset per day so should hopefully be ok).

>From the readme:

This is LandForm Panorama height data, (c) Crown Copyright and database
right Ordnance Survey 2010. Part of the OS OpenData set
See http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/landformpanorama/

They are in the same format as the NASA SRTM .hgt files, i.e. gridded
heights. Each tile is 5km x 5km and contains heights at 50m intervals;
the tiles are thus 101x101 points as the heights at the edges of the tiles are
common with the corresponding edge on the next tile.

Heights are two byte numbers in metres, little endian i.e. least significant
byte first.

Thanks to Phil Endecott (www.chezphil.org; www.ukmapapp.com) for preparing
these files from the original OS data.
I will shortly have available some Java code to handle gridded DEMs, including calculating heights at a given spot via bilinear interpretation. This will be non-environment-specific code so can be used in Android apps.

Nick