[Talk-GB] OS OpenData contours

Richard Bullock rb357 at cantab.net
Sat Feb 12 13:18:08 GMT 2011

>>I've done this, but on my own computer only, for hill panoramas.
>
>Hi Richard,
>
>Is this open-source? I'd be particularly interested in the code to
>transform raw OS format -> SRTM hgt-like format, >as I already have code
>which works with .hgt files. However the whole code coule potentially be
>useful.
>
>If it's not open source then yes, examples would be useful.
>
>Thanks,
>Nick

I have taken the new heightfiles from Nick's dev site - and used them with
my modified code to generate panoramas. I've posted the results on the wiki.
I'll post the full source code there if anyone is interested.
See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Creating_a_panorama_with_OS_OpenData

There are, however, some heightfiles missing from the full set. There are no
heightfiles with the name XX99 e.g. on the wiki, I've given an example
showing that SJ99ne, SJ99nw, SJ99se, SJ99sw are all missing. This is true of
every OS grid square - so full 100x100km OS grid squares fully on land only
have 396 5x5km files, instead of 400.

Also, OS grid squares HP,HT,HU,HW,HX,HY & HZ are also missing. These only
cover the Orkneys & Shetland & islands off the Scottish northern coast, but
I'm sure someone will find them useful if they were present.

Richard