[Talk-GB] Armchair-mapping postcodes (was: B72 is a wrap)

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Tue Feb 15 17:39:46 GMT 2011

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists <ajrlists at ...> writes:

>><http://www.raggedred.net/codepoint/>
>>
>>I see - so you can use your judgement to work out the area of a postcode
>>based on its centroid and the streets and buildings nearby.
>

>It's not that simple. You need to do the ground survey first to get the
>house numbers and work out which property "belongs" to which street.

Ah, right.  I thought it sounded too good to be true!  Jerry C. also pointed out
that house numbers have to be present.

So the ground survey is to add the house numbers - or I suppose just addr:street
would be sufficient in most cases? - and then the armchair part is putting those
together with the code point data to find buildings in a particular postcode.

OSM's coverage of streets is much better than its coverage of buildings.  Might
it make sense to tag postcodes on ways?

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>