[Talk-GB] 'Easy' Speciality Map Rendering

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 10:19:33 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Graham Jones <grahamjones139 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have put some thoughts on what this system would look like on my OSM user
> page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Grahamjones#Speciality_Maps).
> My question is whether many people would find this useful?   Or has someone
> already done it but I have not found it?

The guys over at wikimedia do this with their toolserver (amongst
other things) - producing both custom background layers and custom
overlays. For example,

http://toolserver.org/~osm/styles/?lat=52.49436&lon=13.28916&zoom=12&layers=0000F0FT0000F0FFFB000T

... is a black and white mapnik, with hillshading and power
distribution overlays. Documentation is a bit sparse but there's some
at

https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/OpenStreetMap

Anyone can develop a map style and ask to get it rendered. As part of
the toolserver project many of the tools needed for this kind of thing
were developed / used - e.g. hstore in osm2pgsql. You should certainly
dig into what they are doing, what kind of hardware they are using and
so on.

Cheers,
Andy