[Talk-GB] 'Easy' Speciality Map Rendering

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Feb 22 13:56:15 GMT 2011

Graham,

One thing you could usefully document – an in an easy-to-read, visual,
engaging way rather than dense jargon-filled wiki pages – and publicise is
how to use built-in support in OpenLayers. For example, it’s not all that
hard to download some interesting data via XAPI (if it were a bit more
reliable) and display it as a layer in an OpenLayers. A little bit of code
can also provide a popup bubble containing the tags associated with the
feature.

This is a good deal easier than rendering a new set of map tiles.

Here are a couple of examples:

http://tomchance.dev.openstreetmap.org/trees.html

http://tomchance.dev.openstreetmap.org/emptyshops.html

If the data set isn't too large, this would work fine for maps of canals and
locks as well.

You can use CloudMade's style editor to create a suitable set of map tiles,
too, if the default OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap/etc. tiles don't suit your
needs.

Tom