[Talk-GB] Address information in MapDust bugs

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 15:53:32 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Jerry Clough : SK53 on OSM
<SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> , along with excessive noise,

Just for interest's sake, I'll point out that the MapDust API now
exposes an "is default description" flag, allowing them to be filtered
out if they don't contain personalised text. I've implemented this in
p2 (25327) but we're just waiting on releasing an updated build for
that to take effect.

It's a bit of a crutch - I would prefer to see efforts from Skobbler
on their navigation application interface to improve the quality of
bugs reported. I did some research earlier in the year (shared with
Skobbler, of course) showing that the s/n ratio was higher for
non-default-text bugs, hence their suppression, for now, in p2.

But I still see MapDust as a valuable resource that we haven't yet got
to grips with. For example, earlier today I fixed[1] a trunk road
junction that was not only missing turn restrictions but oneway tags
on the triangle of roads. Unsurprisingly it was surrounded by dozens
and dozens of MapDust bug reports from skobbler users, so my question
is why aren't we picking up on these major errors in our map? Maybe we
need more sophistication in how we visualise large volumes of bug
reports - like heatmaps or something? We can't just leave everything
until I happen to walk by out surveying OS locator warnings on a wet
lunchtime.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/7380101