[Talk-GB] OS have switched to Open Government License today...

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 14:15:18 GMT 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:57 PM, David Groom <reviews at pacific-rim.net> wrote:
> Perhaps the answer is that if at some time in the future a new licence was
> proposed, and OSMF is aware that there is data in the DB which would be
> incompatible with that proposed future licence, and they are unable to
> identify and remove that data, then they would have to accept that they
> would be prevented from switching to that licence.

I'm reasonably sanguine that a switch to a non-attribution licence
would lose so much data that it couldn't happen. But contributors
shouldn't be required to make that judgement call unless it's really
necessary.

A policy statement from OSMF saying they can envisage no circumstances
in which a non-attribution licence would be adopted would be enough
for most people, but removing the right from the contributor terms
would be better.

Richard