[Talk-GB] invisible

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 21:37:28 GMT 2011

Henry,
I didn't have any data about efficiency...but I do now.

The map tiles for the canal map I just generated take up 2.4GB (down to zoom
level 14).
I just extracted the canal data from the database (lines, points and
polygons) and as a simple text file it was less than 57MB.   Gzip
compression took it down to just over 17 MB.
ie a factor of over 100 when compressed.

This is not really a fair comparison though because most of my 2.4GB is
taken up by blank tiles (tiles with no canal features in) - these are each
116 bytes.   I am sure I could do something clever with having one image and
lots of symbolic links which could reduce this significantly - better than
say a factor of 10, but I don't know if I would get to 100.   But that said,
the difference was not as big as I expected it to be - good challenge!

Maybe I will write a little program to replace all the empty tiles with a
symbolic link....not tonight though!

Graham.

--
Graham Jones