[Talk-GB] FIXME and incorrect tags

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Wed Jan 19 09:55:02 GMT 2011

I've come across a few combinations recently of ways being tagged 'foo=bar;fixme=foo is wrong, please check'.

If you know that the foo tag is definitely incorrect; isn't it better to remove it completely?

- Tools using the data won't easily be able to parse a freeform fixme tag. 'highway=motorway;fixme=highway tag clearly wrong, please correct' being a good example.
- I can't easily tell if actually foo used to be baz instead of bar and had already been corrected by someone who didn't notice or change the fixme tag.

What's the correct way to highlight incorrect tags where no replacement data is yet available. Add a fixme, or remove and add fixme?

James