[Talk-GB] Waterways Map (was invisible)

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 21:28:02 GMT 2011

Thank you all for your comments.

Dealing with 'disused' was nice and easy - I have deleted disused locks
altogether and changed disused canals to a fainter, dotted line (see just
north of Carnforth near Lancaster).  I am not sure I have ever seen a
'disused' canal - does this mean a ditch, or just an overgrown, impassable
canal?

I have also prevented locks being shown until you zoom in to zoom level 10.
 Updated version now rendering at http://maps.webhop.net/canals, using the
mapnik style http://maps.webhop.net/canals/canal2.xml..

Adding navigable rivers is a good idea, but will take more doing because my
database does not include the 'boat=' tag - I will have to re-import the
whole uk, which takes a few hours.......

Are there any other waterway specific tags that should be included?

What points of interest should a waterways map highlight - I only have locks
at the moment, because I remember these being the interesting part of canal
boating, but I can add other things - especially if anyone would like to
draw an icon for it - otherwise we will end up with another one of my dodgy
drawings!

Graham.

On 19 January 2011 19:24, Chris Moss <moschris at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Graham and Malcolm,
>
> Certainly I can see for the first time where the gaps are in the waterway
> coverage and it encourages me to explore mapnik and see how everything
> works.
>
> Chris

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.