[Talk-GB] Waterways Map (was invisible)

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Thu Jan 20 10:07:44 GMT 2011

On 19 Jan 2011, at 21:28, Graham Jones wrote:

> Dealing with 'disused' was nice and easy - I have deleted disused locks altogether and changed disused canals to a fainter, dotted line (see just north of Carnforth near Lancaster).  I am not sure I have ever seen a 'disused' canal - does this mean a ditch, or just an overgrown, impassable canal?

Varies a lot, there's one that passes near my house and there's no sign that it ever existed, it's route has been tarmaced over forms part of a residential street. Further out of town it varies from a small gap between hedgerows (again not easily recognisable as a canal) to a ditch, to sections that still contain water and remnants of locks. From aerial photographs; the breaks in developments caused by the canal make the route very obvious.

James